« Liberal Blogs »

6/23/2005

Thune Talking in Circles...Again

Sen Thune made an appearance on national TV today when he took to the airwaves on C-SPAN in his continuing effort to find the real killers...no...I mean to keep Ellsworth open. Johnnie (I call him that just for Sibby) had some interesting things to say. I mean interesting in a rambling Sibby sort of way.

From the AP

"One caller pointed out that following the May 13 announcement, Thune had threatened to withhold support for some Bush administration initiatives.

Thune, a freshman senator, said he has made it clear from the start that he would do everything possible for Ellsworth.

'That obviously means using the tools that you have, the powers you have at your disposal as a United States senator,' he said. 'Clearly, I'm going to do what I think is in the best interest of my state of South Dakota as well as in the best interest of the country because I think that's our responsibility as senators.'"

I guess Johnnie is trying to say that voting against Bolton is both good for South Dakota and good for the country. Of course you may remember Thune's appearance on Hardball when he uttered these now infamous words.

MATTHEWS: That is not the charge here. The charge here is, he is forcing people to do things they don‘t want to do.

THUNE: And those are issues that are being reviewed and looked at.


But I think, again, if you look at his record, he has been confirmed previously. And he is a guy who shakes things up. And I think the U.N. needs that.

But this flip flop is old news. Today's C-SPAN appearance gave us a new one.

Again, from the AP (bear with me)

"Thune, a freshman senator, said he has made it clear from the start that he would do everything possible for Ellsworth.

That obviously means using the tools that you have, the powers you have at your disposal as a United States senator,' he said. 'Clearly, I'm going to do what I think is in the best interest of my state of South Dakota as well as in the best interest of the country because I think that's our responsibility as senators.'"

Now that sounds like Thune saying he is punishing the president by voting against Bolton. Fair enough I guess, but later Thune admits that he is barking up the wrong tree.

"The Bush administration has taken a hands-off attitude and allowed the base closure process to work, Thune said. 'They have not tried to influence the decisions that were made by the Pentagon.'"

So, to recap.

Bolton Good.
Bolton not Good.
Must vote against Bolton so President will save Ellsworth.
President has not tried to influence the decision on Ellsworth in the first place.

Johnnie sure is one hell of a statesman isn't he?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google