« Liberal Blogs »

7/05/2005

Thune and the Flag

I came across a column I guess you'd call it, written by Sen. Thune at Dakota Voice published yesterday. The piece is about his need to protect the flag and it is classic Thune.

"Sadly, we are all too familiar with the scene on the nightly news or accounts in newspapers where a group of protestors douse an American flag in kerosene and set it on fire."

All too familiar? The problem Johnny is that those groups of protestors are not in the United States. They are in places like Iran, and Syria and Saudia Arabia and North Korea or maybe even France.

I feel silly explaining this to a United States Senator, but a constitutional amendment banning flag burning is only the law of the United States, the rest of the world does not care and it will not stop them from burning the flag.

I know I've asked this before, but when was the last time you saw a flag burned in America anyway?

Believe it or not it actually get's even more absurd.

"When I recently attended the annual meeting of the South Dakota American Legion, I was reminded that their highest legislative priority is the flag amendment."

Now I don't want to call Sen. Thune a liar, but I find it very hard to believe that the American Legion has made protecting the flag their "hightest legislative prority."

No, I think they are probably more worried about say having verteran's healthcare fully funded, something Johnny and his posse seem to be unwilling to do unless forced.

Thune ends with this.

"Veterans from across South Dakota have asked me to step up and defend the flag of this great nation and I am answering that call."

I think the Senator may have misunderstood what those veterans where asking of him. I think they actally wanted him to enlist and get his chickenhawk ass over to Iraq.

1 Comments:

At 7/05/2005 08:05:00 PM, Anonymous Good Soldier Svejk said...

God Bless Sen. John Thune for working so hard to protect our flag from acts of disrespect. The situation is much more critical than many realize. Last week Spain legalized same sex marriage and now The United Church of Christ will perform the ceremonies.
What may well happen is that many of these couples will travel to South Dakota for their Honeymoons and consummate the marriage on an American flag. They will do this to thumb their noses at John Thune and the Heartland values he stands for. One can only shudder at the thought of how high the divorce rate in South Dakota will climb once the sanctity of marriage is destroyed.
Thank God Sen. Thune is also supporting extraordinary rendition.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google